Thursday, August 25, 2011

R

Regret was clearly etched in your face. You wished you hadn't done what you did in the last few minutes. Before that we were fine, you were fine. Few minutes later- now, you wish I disappeared off the face of earth. You seem to be normal with your friends. Yet when I catch your eye, you go red behind your ears and look down at your books.
I have seen you around the library a lot. And that is where you spoke to me. You were very respectful the first time. The second time you were a little more forthcoming. After that you have been quite chatty. But today you do not seem to have found your tongue quite yet. Everyone around you seems festive, you look like you would kill them all. They don't know what you have done as yet. If they did, you would be the center of a lot of attention. I do not wish that for you either. But I have to respond to what you have done.
You are among the last to leave. You look forlorn- you poor thing. I don't have the heart to be harsh with you, yet I would have to let you know what I think.
It is Valentine's day. When I reached my desk there was a pink card and a rosebud. Clearly the card was handmade and the rosebud from a home garden. I was touched when I read the card- Will you be my valentine?
I call out to you. You stop, look at me apprehensively.You shirt is scruffy and your tie askew. Your shoes have lost their shine. My heart melts. I bend down and give you a hug- " I will be you valentine for now and forever." You smile- showing the gap where your front two teeth should have been. "You are my favorite student and a very sweet boy. But there are other girls you should be giving cards to.", I say. You reply- "Oh but I already have- gave them cards I bought. But I made this card especially for you, my favorite teacher."
You are a smart boy at 8 yrs. Yes, you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment