Monday, August 22, 2011

P

"Precious", you say. Well that is what you say now. I have been coming here for 3 weekends now. The first weekend you did not want to even help me. You came and asked me what I want but you excused yourself before I could finish. I could hear you quietly talking to your friends about me.
It is a huge step for me too. I have never been this happy and sure ever before in my life and I just want to just jump into it. The first time I came here I simply walked and stared at all of it. I wanted to be able to breathe the smell in, take in the wonderful sights of all that white. I wanted to feel each one. It may have looked creepy too, I know, to see me do that. I was exhilarated and could not care less. I look at myself in the mirror- tired and weary. I also tuck a few wayward strands of grey behind my ears.
I came in the second time and you were still eyeing me from across the room and then approached me after 10 minutes, when you knew I was not about to leave. I had to tell you my story the third time for you help me whole heartedly. But to your credit, once you knew what I wanted and what I was upto, you put in your all and helped me find it.  You are one talker! Yes sir!! I was soon telling you my life story as we searched for the perfect one. In those few hours I have shared with you, things that I haven't even known I wanted, desired. You peeled away one inhibition after another until I was totally raw and genuine.
I am wearing it.  Puffed sleeves, white beads on the neckline and lace on the full skirt; it comes with a train. I absolutely adore it and you think its precious too. I am getting married for the first time in a month. I am 43 years old. I feel nervous about it. I smooth the skirt once, twice, thrice and look into the mirror and tell you this is not for me- the wedding and the dress. You come close to me- my beloved sales assistant. You tell me I look precious and that any man would want to marry me for who I am.
I then ask you to be my maid of honour. Tears shimmer in your eyes when you say yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment