Friday, August 12, 2011

H

"Hello..." The voice is breathless. Its you.. I know. I can see you now, even as we speak. Twisting the buttons on your shirt, rearranging the pens on your table, adjusting the monitor very slightly. Your habits have become so familiar to me. You check if it is a good time to speak. I smile and say yes. Then...bliss. I don't quite remember what we speak, but we do for a long time. The office boy comes in and asks me if I need to order lunch. I tell him my order and also I order for you. He knows our secret and offers me a cocky eyebrow. He is so precocious but a nice kid.
Romance is frowned upon in this office. And when it is between a senior level and middle level employee, there's always fireworks. We have been going steady for almost a year now. The last few weeks have become really hard. When all friends of ours bring their dates its hard for me to sit apart from you and merely quench myself through sight. And I think of how it started. It was a training session. I was late and also inattentive. You spotted that right away and pulled me aside after the training. Understanding that there was a personal reason you lent a sympathetic ear..a very sympathetic ear...a very beautiful ear!
Today is the day! We are going to make it public. One of us will be asked to resign for sure, So far, we have let that decision hanging. I come to your cabin across mine. You smile that anxious smile. I hold out my hand and you take it. We walk out proudly. Spotted! Once, twice...now everyone is looking. The GM sees us, promptly beckons us for the talk. Before he starts, you hand him a letter.Two stunned faces look at you.
He looks at you. "I appreciate your guts and determination. But as the only woman in this company, aren't you doing yourself a disfavor by resigning?" And you say with pride that only you can- " I am doing a favour to all other companies."
And you beam at me.

1 comment: