Monday, August 15, 2011

K

"Karaoke night today" says the banner. The bar has similar announcements outside too. I stare at them, you don't need them. You are a star all by yourself. The regular patrons of the bar know you well. You always come on karaoke nights. And noone ever wants to sing after that. I have to do it today. Once you start singing the entire bar falls quiet. Some new customers are stunned to hear you sing. I have to do it today.
You sing a lot of songs. There are so many requests. You laughingly oblige them all. One fellow suggests you come home with him and sing him to sleep and promptly falls face down- too much to drink already.You sing new songs. You sing old songs. You clearly know some songs by heart, because I see you pouring your heart and soul into it.
You are beautiful. You have finished all the songs you came to sing. You step down and take a deep breath before admirers surround you. You navigate them all beautifully. A joke here, a smile there and a laugh now. You are out of the crowd. And you always sit at the same table- towards a corner in semi-darkness.
I approach you. You sense me and look at me. Those silver eyes. Haunting.
 I knew you once. I loved you, your voice. I was one among the many. Everyone remembers the accident- that left you scarred, that left you blind. I still loved you. And then you vanished. Without a trace. They searched for you- your family, your friends, the media. You disappeared.
20 years have passed by.Your father is now dead, even your family has given up-but not me. I approach you. You think its the waiter and smile ask for water. I say your name. You go still for a second. My world then lights up. You remember. You stumble out of the chair and hug me.
You also whisper- "You were my favorite step-mother! I listened to the news.It was never you fault.I wanted to tell you but I couldn't. I am sorry for letting them blame you."
I tell you its ok. You are here and that is what matters, my daughter.

1 comment: