Wednesday, August 17, 2011

N

"Ninja!". I smile. I had asked you a question and this was your answer. I have no idea how this will happen but that will be your answer no matter how many times I ask or how many ever ways I ask. I know your fascination with the ninjas. You think Ninja, you dream ninja. I also know that you have a lot of books about them and you wall has posters of cartoon ninjas. But you do consider the Ninja turtles juvenile.
You think ninjas are cool. But you don't quite understand the influence they have on you. They were your solace through your parents divorce when you were 7. You pretended that the ninjas would realize that you were a lost member and come and rescue you in the deep of the night. Even when they did not come you consoled yourself saying they probably thought you were too young. They were many instances, but your faith in them was never shaken.
You collect ninja artifacts. You learnt martial arts to keep the illusion alive. You scaled walls wearing that horrendous dress someone told you was Ninja-like. I had to persuade you to give them up and get dark jeans and t shirt. You still insisted on wearing the mask. The neighbor did mistake you once for a burglar and call the police. And was apoplectic when it turned out to be you. He does not acknowledge your presence since then and you try annoying him all the time.
When will you grow up? I have known you for two decades ever since your parents divorced and you moved in with your grandparents. I remember the shy boy you were. You refused to answer my questions. I was persistent though, asking you what were the figures you were holding. You heaved a huge sigh and answered - the same word you used now- ninja! And you have been answering a lot more questions with indulgent sighs all these years.  I am persistent. How else did I get you to marry me?
But this instance reaffirms that you are still the boy I knew and cherish. "What do you want our son to be when he grows up?", you ask me. I tell you he can be anything he wants. You sigh, that all knowing- smiling sigh and you say "Ninja". I hold my faith and peace.
Our son is only two weeks old. He has a lot of time to grow. Ninja he shall be.

4 comments:

  1. ha ha!!! does your husband really do that?? Ninjaa!!! i used to love TMNT too..esp Raphaeal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shilpi..these stories are all only stories..HD is not even remotely interested in them! And I love TMNT too! :)

    ReplyDelete