Monday, August 22, 2011

Q

"Quizzing". I tell my friend the excuse to leave soon; I haven't watched the entire re-run of "The one in Vegas". Later perhaps. I reach the venue about five minutes before it starts. I have no partner. I see you looking for one. But I do not approach you. You ask around and understand I do not have a team-mate. You come to me. "Will you be my team-mate?" I am determined to win this quiz, so I say yes.
I know you are very good at quizzing. I have seen you at a lot of contests. I have seen you win many of them, I win most of them. So you know I am good at it too. We do well in the first round- a written one. You have a lovely handwriting, even lovelier hand. But I am determined to win this quiz. There is a small break before the final results are announced for the final 8. You ask me to come to lunch with you. I say no. I am determined to win this quiz.
We are on stage. You whisper questions into my ears. I ignore them. You are puzzled, I can see. You try smiling at me when you say the right answer. I do not smile back. You are elated when your guesses turn right. You turn to give me a high five but I am glowering at you. Our hands fumble for the buzzer, I hit it and bark out the right answer. You are blushing but I do not even glance at you. We win. You have no more smiles to give and are plastic to anyone congratulating you.
They hand out the certificates and money. Woohoo! Money! I turn and see you walking away. I slap my forehead. I forgot..I run the few feet separating us and touch you. You turn unwillingly. "Coffee?, I ask.
You are stunned. A tentative yes from you. I start my bike and you hesitate to get on. I nod my head to make you get on.
At the coffee shop you are quiet. You want to ask me. Your unvarnished nails glint as you swirl the straw in the coffee. Here it comes. "Why weren't you answering me? Why were you so aloof? Is it because you did not want to be my team mate? Why then ask me to coffee?"
I look at you. The reason why I lost "many" quizzes. "You are a distraction you know. I was determined to win this quiz." You look struck; tears in your eyes. I hasten to explain " I did not want you telling our children that their father lost his first quiz with mom because he was too busy thinking how breathtaking she looks up close."
You eyes widen, you understand and you blush. Now this one, I definitely am looking at!

No comments:

Post a Comment