Sunday, August 7, 2011

C

"Cotton Candy"!! Your eyes dance, there's a little skip in your step and you clap your hands with sheer joy. And this sight warms me. Today has not been a good day. But the blue, pink and yellow cotton candy never fails to cheer you up. You take a long time making up your mind about the colour you want to buy. Finally you settle on Blue. The vendor gives me an understanding smile. Thank god for such people.
You hold the paper bag in one hand and take mine in the other. I ask you how you will eat if your hand is not free and you put your face right into the bag and show me how it is done. So much for manners!
Today was not a good day. You refused to take your bath, refused to eat anything but your favourite Ghee-Dal-rice with potato chips. You refused to talk or smile at anyone.Only when I returned from the office did you even come out from under the bed. I think about happier times and I look at you and smile.
We have been married for 55 years. You are now 74 yrs old. I remember the woman-child I married, who became a woman, a mother and grandmother with grace and feminity. Everyone still talks about how regal you looked in a sari. All you wear now is a printed knee length gown. Your once raven black long hair has still some black in but is in a short bob. You wear no jewelry. The only indication that you are married comes from the kumkum on your forehead, that I smear everyday before I leave to the manufacturing plant.
We have our good days- the ones where you are the woman I loved and the bad days when you return to being a child that I have learnt to love.
Today was not a good day but I have my mind at ease now.I tighten my grip on your hand and we walk towards our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment