Tuesday, August 9, 2011

F

"First place goes to.." and they say my name. I hope secretly that they have forgotten the event or my name. But there's very little chance of that. I take a deep breath and go on stage. The Principal shakes my hand, pins the medal on my pinafore and hands me my certificate. And you are clapping the loudest with a grin plastered all over your face. You will never give up talking about me and my prize- I know that now.
I get down slowly and go back to my seat. I have a couple of other prizes to get too. They are not first prizes but you still clap even before they say my name. I should never have told you about the Prize ceremony but you would have known anyway and I thought I was strong. The Principal now tells me that I am extremely talented and should be proud of myself. No..I have heard it enough and more times. But that's the Principal, I smile and say thanks with great effort.
You are clapping even now..and giving me a thumbs-up too. I hate you now, like I have never hated you before. Competitions are precisely that- not a big deal!! But no, you will not agree. At least to rub this one in you will say what matters most is the winning! I know you come first too, but this is different you say. I try dragging on meeting you after the ceremony, talking to friends, checking their certificates. They all have to go, so do I.
I walk towards the three of you. Appa and Amma smile at me.
 And you, my elder brother, just pluck out that certificate and dance around them and say in a sing-song voice- "And the First Prize in Biscuit Eating competition goes to...you" and start clapping with a great enthusiasm that you have never showed on anything in your life. Yet you mean it in the sincerest form of appreciation.You ask me how many biscuits I had to eat, what kind they were, if I wanted seconds and went back after the race. Amma and Appa shush you but you pinch me and pull my hair and dance around me.
I know you love me and I love you too..but I still hate you.

1 comment: