Friday, August 12, 2011

I

"India! India! India!" you chant under your breath. Ever since we switched on the TV, your patriotism has been unwavering. And with each obstacle crossed, your determination increases. I feel the heat of the fever. You called in sick today. But the minute you knew what was happening, you huddled on the couch with a cup of cocoa and you haven't moved from that place yet.
You say India is the best competitor. You also start speaking Cricket terms- something you do when you are incredibly excited. Batting, bowling and fielding. You say India is in top form. I agree. But I support my country Australia and you give me a bleak look as if I should know better. Well, I am Australian. I am going to support my country through and through- Australia is in great form too!
Ever since you knew India was in the Final Five, you have been cherishing a long dream to come true. Then the Final Three- Australia, India and South Africa. It is then announced that South Africa comes third. You jump for joy and start waving that flag, you keep on the refrigerator, around. You are also chanting again, doing the jungle dance. I am truly afraid now.
"And the Miss Universe is ......India"!! The woman in the TV is crying, so are you.Batting her eyelids now, bowling over all the judges and fielding questions from the media now. You hug me as if to console me and pat me twice in the back. And you look back at the TV and wave the flag again. One has got to love your patriotism- in whichever form you exhibit it!

1 comment: