Saturday, December 10, 2011

Selfish father

I am a selfish father.
Yes, I have no qualms about admitting that. Ask me how much I love chocolate fudge and I will lie. But ask me what kind of a father I am and I will tell you straight on- a selfish one.
I am determined to give my son the best. Be it education or be it sports I want him to have all the privileges. If it means that I have to stand in a line at 5am in the morning for entry into an office that opens at 10am, let me tell you, I will be there with my tent and coffee. If it means that a college will accept my son because he is a good sportsman, let me tell you, I will help him master his sport at any cost, even if I have to sell my house on top of the loans that I already have.
I am a selfish father. If it means that I will have to switch on the lights to see my son study, disturbing my wifes' sleep, then I will do it without a second thought. If my son is sick and needs attention, and if there's a queue, I will quite not care about what the nation thinks of its leader and what the person before me thinks either. I will try jumping the line and yes I will. If there's a fire, be it upon me to push my son out the first, then maybe I will spare a thought to my mother.
If his happiness is with a girl whose father is against it, trust me to be the first one to think of foolproof plans to help them elope. I will also be the one to talk to him and coax/cajole/coerce him to think like me. I am selfish, yes!
I will brag about my son, I will not let you talk about yours. Even if he farts or even if he burps, his achievement is greater than yours. Period.
I am a selfish father..but most of all I love my son too well and too deeply. His future is what I dream of at nights, his happiness is what keeps me moving through day. I am a selfish father and I have no qualms in admitting it.

2 comments:

  1. Phoneix -

    The father hasn't done anything for himself. He does it for his son. I'm not convinced he is a "selfish" father.

    -pharaoh(o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..I'd think that would be the reaction of people around him- that he is selfish..but it is like he agrees with you..he loves his son deeply!

    ReplyDelete