Sunday, December 18, 2011

Courage

Not what I was really feeling. I wish I could bury myself back in the covers again. But no, the world called and I had to answer. Last night was a sleepless one. Although the bed was warm, my heart was cold. The moon was gentle and the stars burned brightly, but time..time moved slowly.
As dawn broke, I stayed behind the curtains, letting the energy seep in through my skin. And I could see the horizon lighten. Birds flew in flocks, beginning what was their journey for the day. The roads were starting to fill up with people. They initially shuffled along, but as time went, they started moving faster. Hundreds of people, going about their lives.
And here I was. Shrinking to even look at the masses. One man had violated me. And so many others stood looking. I was afraid, I felt desperate and I cried. I lost my dignity. I lost me. I was broken. I had rejected my family. I had spurned my friends.I did not think they would understand. I had stood alone then, I stood alone now.
There would be glances, you see. Whispers.."The poor little thing", they would say. "So sad, what happened", they would say. All this and no one seemed to understand. No one showed me how it could be overcome.
But now, I don't need them. I am going to step out. My head held high. Accidents happen, things go wrong. I won't be defeated by them. I will not let them take my life. I have lost so much already. I am going to get it all back. I know there will be bumps, I will cross them. I know things have not been great in a while, but change is ahead. I know that all this while, I was in a cocoon.
Now I will fly.

1 comment: