Thursday, May 31, 2012

Excuses

Your eyes slowly flutter shut. I look at your serene sleeping face for a few minutes. I then heave a huge sigh, touch your forehead and touch my lips. It is bliss to see a young one sleep. But this sleep does not come easy. every night, you cry. Every night, I console. Every night...for the last 6 months.
One of the greatest sorrows in life is to bury a dear one. I lost half my heart and soul when I buried my husband. The other half, I buried with my son. For my daughter-in-law, I did not even have tears to give, so great was my pain and emptiness. I had to be strong for you, smile when you brought me shells from the sea-shore. Laugh when you came home dirty with that mongrel you call pet. And cry every night, after you go to sleep. I tell you they have gone to the doctor, they have gone to the shop. I tell you they are sleeping , sometimes they are ill. You have not understood it all, you have so many questions and I am running out of words. When will I be able to stop? Will I make you grow up when you are too young? I close my eyes..
I think am dreaming. I see father and mother holding hands facing the sun..it is a beautiful meadow. I run towards them shouting. They turn to me. I am not able to see their faces clearly. I am not able to remember..but I will ask them why they left me to get ice cream. I will ask this when I see them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. :(((((( This is so sadddd
    I want every baby to be happy.It is so painful to see a child suffer.They deserve to be happy :((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next one will be a happy baby...I hope!

    ReplyDelete