Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Don't come back..please!

"I am out of cigarettes." I tell you. You don't turn. " I am going to the mart to get them. Don't get up." You still don't turn. I move out of the house and get into the car. I roll down the windows and take a deep breath. I still don't seem to get air into my lungs- the air that you punched out when you told me you were pregnant.
We have been together for 8 months. I have enjoyed my time in this town so far. It has been fun and carefree. No one to ask, no one to scold and no one to complain. But this, this I don't need. I am too young to get married, too young to have children and am not going to take on something I know I don't want. I think about what I have in the house. Although I have been living in your house, I do have my money and clothes in my car. I look at the house, the nightlight in the hallway and I turn on the ignition..Goodbye.
I can hear the car leave. I can still smell you in the room. When you showed up 8 months ago, I was not the person I am now. I preferred my solitude, my time and my life uncomplicated. Even with you around it was still the same simple game. And then I got pregnant. I sat on the toilet thinking if I should visit the doctor to abort the baby and then I realized this was the only chance for me to make roots. I had been alone for too long. I wanted this. And I did not want you. You were fun but definitely not father material. I will bet my entire life savings that you will leave and not come back. Goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. I like this one! But I feel sad that the fictional baby would grow without a father. Unfortunately this is the reality for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true! But I think it is better this way rather than getting married and resulting in a broken marriage!

      Delete