Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Love

Love don't cost a thing! JLo sure had it wrong.
The scene at the courtroom was sombre. There was a buzz in the air. Although everyone was silent, I could hear the thought loud and clear. The media was silently capturing the expression on each and everyone's face. I knew they would milk it for all its worth and at this point I truly did not care. My mind was on something higher.
Your mother was holding my right hand. How I love her. She has been so generous to me over the years and treated me like another son. Your father- never the one to really show his emotions has given me his class ring for the day; he thinks its going to be lucky for me.  Your ex-wife constantly smiles at me from the front row. I can understand how you fell in love with her.
Your brother stares at me from across the aisle. His face reads hate. Pure and unadulterated hate. I have seen it on many faces in the past few months. This battle  between him and us has a nation wide impact and people have been divided and I understand it too..I think.
When you died, I automatically resumed the work you were doing. The management also turned to me. Your home- that we lived in for decades became my home too. To me it seemed natural to continue in your path but apparently what I did was illegal. Negotiations with your brother failed. He wanted total control. Not having children was our greatest regret, yours till your last breath and mine every minute!
"The state recognizes the work the defendant has done in the name of the deceased and acknowledges the goodwill they have generated. But the law does not recognize the union."
The judge smiles benevolently. The media is in a frenzy. Flashes strike constantly. Their darling son has lost. Your brother is gloating and is addressing the media. Me..I am being hugged by your mother. Your father pats my back and your wife- she just flipped your brother off. Again media captures it all.
I am enlightened. I am surrounded by love. And it feels wonderful. While I will miss the comfort that I had the work that we did will speak for itself and I stand tall.
I miss you everyday and I love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment