Friday, March 30, 2012

Angry mother


My mother is angry. I think she is angry with me. Because of something I did? I do not know. But I know she is angry.
She was smiling when she sent me off to school. She had also packed dessert today. It was a surprise and I did not share it with anyone else. It was a regular day at school. I got a "star" for my homework. I did not even stay back to play with my friends. My shirt was clean and my tie was in my bag. My shoes were only a little dusty.
She did not smile when I came back. She took my bag and asked me about the test. I got a B in it. She asked me why I made a silly mistake. Did I not know the difference between the addition and multiplication symbol?
She did not sing when making my dinner. And when she took me from the front patio, her hands dug a little into my arms. It hurt a little. But I did not cry.
She did not sing the fuzzy-wuzzy song while feeding me dinner. She kept slapping the food into my mouth and did not let me talk either. She constantly kept looking at the clock. It was not even nine.
She told me to go to sleep. She did not tuck me either. She did not shoo away the monsters under the bed. She told me to shut my eyes and go to sleep. I felt like crying, I did not know what I did wrong. I wanted to hug her and kiss her but she switched the night light on and left.
I shut my eyes tight. I sleep.
I walk into his room. I have been angry today. Some people should mind their business and not mine. I love my son and that should be enough. I can make him the man he should be. He will study well.He will get all that I can afford, short of giving up my life. I love him.
I peep into his room. He has tears flowing from his eyes. They have wet the pillow. My heart breaks. Never again...I go in. Brush his hair, tuck his sheet and look under the bed for any monsters. I kiss his forehead. Sweet dreams, I whisper.
I close the door gently on my way back.

1 comment: