Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A lazy afternoon

I decided to contemplate on the mysteries of the universe. I had nothing better to do. The sun was scorching so bright, that it seemed to soak up any underwater reserve that we had unknowingly left behind.
There was no school for another 2 months. My friends had left to their grandparents' places for their vacation. Those that did not go enrolled in special classes. I chose not to go to the same classes and instead decided to contribute to the betterment of mankind and waste something useful- time.
So here I was embarking on a mission that could change the face of mankind. I picked the guava tree with its multitude of branches for this task. There were also a lot of fruits close at hand and I would not go hungry. And I lay on the branch which bore my weight without the least protest.
Thus I began...My first contemplation was on the sun. How would people have treated their first sunset? They would have been surprised that the light they had throughout suddenly dimmed. How would they have treated snow and rain throwing their regular lives into panic? Did they make a sport of ice-skating? How did they deal with mosquitoes and flies? Did they have a special weapon against them? Do mosquitoes sleep? Can we kill them all when they sleep? What alternative did they have for paper towels in the early days? Was hygiene even a point to consider?
Were the name of the nine planets the same on all the planets? If there was life on them were we ever portrayed as infectious beings out to take their world? Have we ever been the good guys? Did they have Men in Black on the moon and mars?
I paused to take a few bites of the guava. Continue... Aren't the pipes these days astonishing? When did they invent pots..is it patented?
I could have gone on. I felt I could think better with my eyes closed. Hmmm..yes indeed. It was better. The light was not as bright and I could concentrate better. Now where were we..
How many guavas did I eat? I think I ate one..no two..no  no three?!! I...ate..
......
......
.....
.......
10 guavas. And I open my eyes with a startle. Oh no! I dozed. And the mysteries are still intact. It is almost sunset with the smell of jasmines wafting in the air. I decide I will continue tomorrow. After all noone is going to really find the answers....are they? 

2 comments: