Saturday, November 19, 2011

Earth

I am a patient man.
When the other kids at school were eager to rush out on the last day of school, I could always walk slowly, the last them of all. I was excited too, but I knew I could go a little slower than the others. When the results came in and my college-mates huddled around the man pasting the paper on the board, I waited the crowd out. I was among the last few to check the results, the others being the ones who had checked in the initial wave and had not passed the exam but were hoping a later sighting would somehow alter the results.
I always let the audience in a theatre to move out before even beginning to get up. Quite a few dates of mine have asked me if I was waiting to make a move on them in the emptying hall. I could always be gracious enough to allow a few people with more items ahead of me in the check-out line at the groceries.
I was patient when the girl I was to marry in a few days decided to come to my house and cry for 5 hours straight because she could not find the right dress. I was patient when she dried her eyes and smiled with her puffy eyes and stained cheeks.
I was right with her when her walk was slow and her belly was with child. She had her tantrums, she had her craving, her not-so-conveniently-timed wishes. I knew she was going through a harder time than she gave out.   I understood the issue when the nurse told us the emergency room was being cleaned and we had to wait in the hallway for a couple of minutes.
I was patient all this while. I held my ground and my heart while the doctors and nurses helped me and my wife bring our daughter into this world.
I can wait a few more minutes till she opens her eyes to look at me with those wonderful blues before I close mine for my much needed sleep..
I can wait..

3 comments:

  1. If only this held true for all men *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK.So tell me who is the inspiration?I think i know who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MK- totally fictional..totally my imagination!

    ReplyDelete