Tuesday, September 20, 2011

W

"Washington DC ?", I gasp. I am sure you can hear the tears in my voice. The tears that do not take form for the fear of my husband noticing. But they are there nevertheless. I am already inconsolable. I move to the kitchen and switch on the mixie. I do not want him to know anything is wrong. Yet it is.
" It is so far away", I tell you. You console me saying we will not let the distance hinder us. Distance has never hindered us. You moved away after school and I survived college only thanks to phones. I made a million calls. And you were always there for me, be it the first day when I told you I went in to the wrong class or be it the time I knew I was in trouble with the lecturer. I moved to your city when it was time to look for a job. I stayed in the same street as you. I met you every day. Your mom always suspected we were up to something, with those whispers and chuckles. And she was almost always right.
I miss you. When it was time for me to get married, which was inevitable, I looked for someone who stayed in the same city. I still met you. I still talked to you, hurried conversations but I talked to you.
He walks in. He now knows for sure something is up. I tell you goodbye and hang up. I look at him, now tears in my eyes. He tells me, "Let go." I cried. He held me close for those two minutes. "This is 21st century. No one is truly far away. You will still be able to talk to her everyday. You can still catch up on the little gossips. You will not be far away from her.", he tells me.
My dearest friend, my soul sister, will we be alright? And I look at the chats and messages a month later and I know- We are!

No comments:

Post a Comment