Thursday, March 7, 2013

A man's life..

The lady walks in hesitantly. She pauses in front of the elevator to check if she has the correct floor. Her eyes are swollen and red. She stops in front of my desk. I get a call at that moment. I wave a sorry to her saying it will take just a moment. She waits patiently.
I hang up the phone. She tells me her husband worked in our office. He died three days ago. He has been cremated. She wonders if I have a final payment ready. I ask her his name. I don't recognize it. I check the records. The computer tells me he has been employed for 34 years. 34 years and I have never seen him, and I usually see them all!
I begin the process for the payment and tell her the check should be ready in about 5 hrs time. She asks me if she can wait in the lobby itself. I tell her to go ahead and point out the coffee machine. She takes a cup and sits in the corner. She closes her eyes after a sip. I can see her years etched on her forehead. I go and sit beside her. A few words are all it takes.
He woke up everyday at 6. Came to office at 8.30. Took his packed lunch- a sandwich and a fruit, exactly at 1.30. He went home at 7. He had his dinner at 8.30 and went to bed at 10 after kissing his wife. This was his workday. He had this routine even on weekends, instead of working at the office, he cleaned the house, helped her with laundry and took care of the kids while she slept. Even on the day he died, he had his dinner, kissed her and went to bed. And never woke up.
He was a quiet man, with a great sense of humor. He could quote Shakespeare and Wodehouse. He had a crackling laugh but was tone deaf.
The check is ready. I give it to her. Her eyes look relieved at the substantial amount. She smiles at me and walks away.
I update my records- Employee account closed. Person deceased. That is all I have to say to 34 years of diligence and 58 years of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment