Thursday, January 17, 2013

The couch potato

The door slams shut. Both of them enter the living room, talking animatedly. As they enter the living room, they glance towards me and their discussion stops. I don't look at them. I continue munching the popcorn. The butter is a little less, and I should have not added the extra dash of salt.
Wile E Coyote gets slammed by the anvil and the roadrunner beeps. I laugh at this joke every single time. It is funny if you think about it. And during the commercial, which I mute, I can hear them talking in the kitchen. One conversation that I have heard in multitude combinations of anger, disappointment, frustration and acceptance. Today she is frustrated and he is consoling. She wonders if I will ever step out of the house. If I will ever grow up and let go. He says to give it time. That I would definitely go out of the house soon. I need to do it in my own way.
I like this couch. It is well cushioned and I also have a blanket if I am too cold. This feels safe. I lost my best friend to a mugging gone bad. My grandmother was hit by a car and was paralyzed till her last breath. And I see the news everyday- I hear of so many accidents, deaths. And the food is good. It never hurts me and fills me up so that I don't think beyond my growing waistline. I am not a couch potato. I am a coward and am deathly scared to go out.
My mother comes and sits near me. My father on the other side. He takes some of the pop-corn. We all hold hands as we watch the coyote being blown up. Beep Beep.

1 comment: