Friday, June 22, 2012

Just a few more...

I stand outside the restroom, fiddling with my sleeve. I pause to hear the toilet flush. And you come out with a smile on your face. I ask you if you flushed, you nod your head. And when I ask if you washed your hands, you bring them up to my nose; I can smell the aloe in the liquid. Your eyes sparkle as if you have accomplished a herculean task.
I did not expect this. I was absolutely blindsided by this. Even this morning, I made a smiley face pancake that you love. You went at it with gusto. You wanted your chocolate milk and even a cookie- right in the morning! Of course, I refused and you gave me the silent treatment for all of five minutes. That's new in itself. I should have guessed.
When we went up to put on your school clothes, you walked right past the bed where I had laid your clothes out and you picked a yellow dress with daisies. I was stunned. Not happened so far. I tied your hair in pigtails. It was then this happened. You wanted to go to the loo.
I walked in with you as usual. You stood there watching me with hands crossed, legs crossed too. I ask you to go. And you say- "Not with you in here, ma..Go out!"
I stand outside the door. I anticipate your cry anytime. But even this normal task is just another reminder, that you are growing up. My baby is growing. To be a wonderful individual, to her own self, with her own preference and mind. You might even like death metal...
Here's hoping to the innocence of childhood even when grown up. You stand on tiptoes, kiss me and run to the bus!

5 comments: