Thursday, December 29, 2016

With Eggnog at Christmas

I stand with my mug of eggnog. I have been working at this company for three years. I am an island. I do not have to talk to anyone. My superiors are in China. I do not know anyone at the party. Normally, I would have declined the invite as I have done for the past three years to every single office party. Today, I changed my mind partly on a whim and partly because I did not feel like reheating leftovers from Sunday night's dinner.
Everyone seems to know everyone at the party. Everyone is having a great time. Mariah Carey is crooning in the background. Someone remembered to spray air freshener that smells like snow forests and pine. They begin playing White Elephant. I got coffee shop gift cards. I sit patiently and steal a thermos mug from someone in the HR department. This is the longest that I have spoken to anyone in this office. I am elated and nervous. Too much! I go out the doors that lead to the balcony. I look at empty walls of the adjacent building. The air is bracing and brisk and my breath forms white clouds. I dump the eggnog into the trash can nearby and head back in.
I stand for a second on the threshold before shutting the doors. Someone kisses me on the cheek. I am shocked and surprised and oh, angry! He smiles gently and points up. Mistletoe.
I smile back and take his extended hand.

4 comments:

  1. I dint understand this part : This is the longest that I have spoken to anyone in this office. Who???BTW just noticed you had this post published before New year's.Your story's new year party had Mariah Carey too,I hope there were no "technical difficulties"..wink wink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol..the longest the character has spoken to anyone..
      mariah carey thankfully was not lipsynching in the tape! :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. sorry..did not realize that comments were in!

      Delete