Tuesday, August 16, 2011

L

"Lights out". I can not see in the darkness. But I know what to do. I have planned it all well. I have rehearsed it so many times mentally. I can not afford to go wrong. I get this one chance. Once chance- I hope this works.
The bulbs outside my cell are glowing dimly. I can make out your shape in the the cell diagonally opposite to mine. I reach deep inside me for the hatred for the person you are now. It is a little hard for me to become someone like this but this has to be done. I have tried all the other ways and this one seemed to be the only one to bring out the hatred in me. I hate you for the smugness you show to the warden. I hate you for making this prison your home away from home; you don't seem to have missed a single beat in carrying out your shady deals. I hate that the other prisoners move away from you and treat you with deference- you are a criminal not the King! Above all I hate you because you destroyed everything in my life that I held and loved.
I take out the knife from underneath my mattress. I stealthily approach you. I also have the key duplicate that I made out of the key from the warden's keyring. The warden takes 5 minutes to do his rounds around the block. I try the lock. It is putty in my hands and just falls open.
I sneak out slowly and come to yours. I have told you all this while that we should be making the run together. You anticipate me and I see you become still. You don't know my plan yet. I use the key again to open this one but I have some problem. I think of calling it but then it opens. Better this way!
I come in. You are still lying down. I come closer, taking my knife slowly..very slowly. And with the speed of lightning I am upon you. You writhe and are strong. But it's a little lesser than what I expected. I look around and raise the knife and plunge it into you.
Once! Twice! Thrice..My shirt is bloodied. My hands are shaking badly. I come out of the cell. I lock it. And right when I turn the lights come back on. Caught!! I am stunned...And ecstatic.
"And cut!...Good job. I knew method acting would work for you." The director says. I turn and look at you. All the hate I felt- it was so hard to bring it out at all. You slowly come out of the cell. You pat me and say , "An Oscar, my son! And you deserve this one too." Thanks father, after all it is your blood that flows in me and your genius that I share!

1 comment: