Saturday, August 6, 2011

B

"Bangalore".
My heart stops for a beat. The conductor wakes us all up. Here I am finally. The longest that I haven't spoken to you. 12 months. We have had our share of spats. I once remember not talking to you for a week. It was so silly I don't even remember the reason- maybe it had something to do with "that boy from office"- like you used to say. I sent you an email saying that I was coming to Bangalore and that I wanted to meet you. I hoped you would meet me..I prayed that you would meet me.
I get down from the bus. The conductor gives me a smile and helps me with my bags. I look around. Searching for you..my eyes are thirsty for your sight. We used to be best friends too- I remember all the times- sneaking off to a movie, calling in sick to our respective offices just to spend more time, me cooking the latest recipes that I had read...they were a lot of laughs. And there were a lot of tears. And I have so wanted to talk to you. And now here I am to see if you will help me understand and make it through.
I see you. You see me.
You run and I meet you halfway. I can see tears in your eyes- tears of joy!! You hold me with those same arms that nursed me when I was sick, held my cycle when I rode them for the first time. And you tell me-"Hasn't that boy told you anything. You never run when you are pregnant. Never even walk fast."
I understand your indignation on behalf of your grand child, Amma!! Oh I have missed you so much.
That boy has taught me a lot, in fact, he is the one who encouraged me to reach out to you He follows me-my husband. And you see him and offer him a smile. And you take my hands and we start walking.
And you say-"You are home. Enkitta thirumba vanduttiye di rajaathi!! Thank god, you are back" and you tighten your grip.

3 comments: